Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone interested in my renovation update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you need some help, VJ knows some Poles who'll do it for cheap within 12 months.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Haha... yes...

Meanwhile... at my place... The kitchen is finished, but the lacquer on one door cracked as the handle was screwed in too tightly, a new door is expected in 3 weeks... The lights above the counter were not installed, as he did not have the right screws... The bathroom is finished, apart from the lights (which I have on order and will install myself).
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
        The kitchen is finished, but [...]
        The bathroom is finished, apart [...]
        I am so OMFGROFL. Sorry.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm just waiting for the lights (but as you can guess: Philips seems to be having delivery problems - I was expecting to have them next week), so that there would no longer be exposed cables in the bathroom. Then it is possible to live there, the replacement doorpanel will be easy to fit.
          pixar

Comment

Small update: lights in the bathroom were fitted, still have to do the transformers to them and the sockets in the bathroom. Then the lights in the livingroom, but that will be an easy job.

First night was spent in the apartment, on an inflatable bed. Not comfortable, and the place still is a huge mess, but it is a start. Next night will be Saturday - due to practical issues.
            pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              >
              First night was spent in the apartment, on an inflatable bed. Not comfortable, and the place still is a huge mess, but it is a start.
              Been there, done that & don't want to do it again.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Done?

Comment

Still waiting for the kitchen guy, yesterday we made a full list of things that he needs to fix (18 items!) and we will send it to him today. Tomorrow we call him to set an appointment.

Also need an electrician to finish some things and double check cabling (I don't trust a one specific ground cable).

Bed should be in 1-2 weeks, and we would move in then.
                  pixar

Comment

Electrician came, and all those things are finished.
                    Ok, bed should be this week (they made a mistake with the term: it should have been 2-3 weeks), almost everything is there already, some parts should arrive today and delivery will be this week.

The kitchen guy will come on Thursday. I went over the list with my friends mother (who is our liaison to the guy) and she said: "hmm... well, if he has to remove half the kitchen, than that is what he has to do; it is really not straight". There also is a problem with the bathroom cabinet (lacquer is not nice), but we hope he can polish it. If not, removing that cabinet will be a joy: through a hole in the back run 6x 240V cables and 6x 12 V cables, as the top of the cabinet houses the transformers (everything is low voltage). So we will have to see how that plays out...

And on Thursday we planned the housewarming party... which may be interesting if the kitchen were to be half demolished...
                    pixar

Comment

I'm insulted. You did not invite us!

Hope you'll really really be finished soon(tm).

Comment

Well... we wanted to plan a party for a colleague that is going on unpaid leave for some longer time (and she lives far away, so meeting would be difficult)... So we figured to do it at my apartment, and combine it with the (first) housewarming party.
                        pixar

Comment

Pictures
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

There will be, do not worry. :-) But I want it nicely finished before putting those up.

Now just a bit worried about the carpenter: if he did quite a poor job in the kitchen, will he be able to fix it? But we'll see tomorrow... Also, a hole in the fake ceiling for a light is unusable, as there is a profile holding up the fake ceiling there . So we'll have to come up with a solution for that...
                            pixar

Comment

The funny thing is, alledgedly quite a few Polish work in construction in the Netherlands and, AFAIK, they do a good job at good prices. Guess we sucked the talent out :d

Comment

It is a bit a problem here: all the good ones work abroad...
                                pixar

Comment

Working...
                                X