Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those mod'ing their cards. Are you overclocking?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F**K me!?

Since when do the moderators get hot under the collar when they divulge information about 'extra' cooling ...
    Didn't you expect someone to ask if u were overclocking the damn thing?

You got given the card. Lovely.
    If anyone buys the card and kills it, they won't get another one either....its just that u were GIVEN the card. Hence the lack of having shelled out $400 for one.
    Hence the ideas from some of the readers that u might be more inclined to overclock the card....you haven't spent a dime yet.

As for overclocking, you can safely overclock just about ANY silicon safely by doing it right.
    You research first, then overclock. Find out theoretical limits, and then reduce those slightly to get the possible 'real-world' limits.

I did microelectronics engineering at Uni, and learnt a lot about the tolerances and limits of microchips.

I have also overclocked many of my products (note: ALL).
    I have only killed one card: my G400, cos i forgot to put the fan back on when i booted up. I had a very small room, which heated up very quickly. didn't do that again.

I didn't RMA it, why should i? My fault.

If u can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Well let me tell you what. There are two things procluding us from possiblly overclocking the cards that we have. 1) We are still testing the cards for possible driver bugs and as someone said testing them overclocked may introduce bugs that are not driver related. 2) As of yet there is no overclocking tool avaliable to us.

As for not paying for our cards. We may not in terms of cash but we do in terms of our time. I mean do you feel that your time is not worth something??? We put up with the bugs so you don't have to.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I'm with you on both points.

And, yes, you do pay for the cards with your time, as other people are paid for their time, and then go and buy the card. Yeah, its the same situation.

BTW, if the cards change in any way physically, do they 'upgrade' the cards u have?
        As in a hardware bug found thru software testing...
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

kjliew,
          thanks for the response... I figured it would be like that but hey it's always worth a shot
          Matrox, I thought, was pretty good about releasing their innards to the Dev. community... things must have changed...

the waiting game continues...
          Craig
          BTW, I still like your MGATweak over Matrox's tweaker...
          1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

KvH, as soon as I walk into the room at night after work the air con goes on and the beer is opened (gotta love 500ml cans of beer)

It makes the heat that much more bearable

Dan
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666

As for overclocking, you can safely overclock just about ANY silicon safely by doing it right.
              You research first, then overclock. Find out theoretical limits, and then reduce those slightly to get the possible 'real-world' limits.

I did microelectronics engineering at Uni, and learnt a lot about the tolerances and limits of microchips.

Exactly.
              Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Exactly wrong. Some of us do this every day, and have real-world experience to tell you that this is not the case.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That's enough.
                  This thread is going nowhere.
                  The only worthwhile post I've seen here in the last 2 days has been KJ's, the rest has been nothing but petty bickering.
                  If you want to debate the do's and don'ts and can's and can't of overclocking in general, start a new thread in General Hardware/Software.
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                  X